Today we live in a world of global broadcasting. Everyone wants to witness even the tiniest event happening around the world. Do you also want to be a part of this? Do you create some amazing audio-video content and want to reach out to an audience? Do you think it will cost you a bank?
Indeed, streaming your content can be a task of effort and heavy on your pocket. But today we are going to talk about something which will allow you to stream your content free of cost. Too good to be true, isn’t it?
Open broadcasting system mostly known as OBS, built with Qt and is maintained by OBS project.
It is free streaming software, open for everyone and can be used on multiple platforms. Moreover, it is available in different versions for different operating systems such as Windows, Mac OS, and Linux.
Follow some simple steps and start streaming your content right away!
Setting Up Your Open Broadcasting System:
To your delight, the recent version of this free software is very user-friendly. You just need to download, install and format it according to your preferences. How simple is that!
Follow just three steps and there you go:
- Firstly, download the software from its site.
- Next, install it like any other app on your device
- Now, move the cursor to the shortcut and right-click on it. Choose “run as administrator”
Before you move ahead, you need to select a streaming platform.
Linking to Your Streaming Platform:
Here you choose which platform you want to stream your content on and follow these steps:
- Run the OBS as an administrator
- Now, find the “settings” button on your screen at the bottom right corner
- Select “stream” from the menu
- Make sure that “Streaming Services” has been selected as the “Stream Type”
- Chose “Service” and click on whatever is your preferred platform.
Now, at this step, you need to enter a special key for the platform you chose. This is unique for every user. Here we’ll cover the procedure of linking to each platform as they may differ slightly.
Key Takeaway: Keep your unique key very safe as if stolen it can be severely misused. Someone can post inappropriate content in your name.
Connecting to YouTube:
For connecting to YouTube, follow these simple steps:
- Select youtube or Youtube gaming from the drop-down menu of streaming services.
- Now you need to go to your Youtube Creator Studio and select the “Live Streaming” tab on the left.
- Scroll down to find out the option that reads “Encoder Setup”
- Here click the “Reveal” button to reveal your secret key.
- Copy the key and paste it in the “Steaming Key” section in your OBS.
- Click “Apply” and then “OK” and we are done.
For Facebook Live:
For connecting to Facebook;
- Click the “Streaming Services” drop-down menu to choose “Facebook Live”.
- Move to Facebook Live Creation page and clock on “Create Live Stream”
- Here you need to choose if you will be broadcasting one single time then the key that appears is fine. Otherwise, select the “Enable Persistent Stream Key” box.
- Copy the key which now appears and paste it in the “Stream Key” box in your OBS.
- Hit “apply” and “OK”.
For linking to Twitch;
- Choose the “Streaming Services ” drop-down menu and selected “Twitch”
- Go to Twitch TV Dashboard and log in
- Select the “Settings” tab at the top
- Now first click on “Stream Key” and then click on “Show Key”
- Copy this key and paste it in the OBS “Stream Key” field
- Click “Apply” and then “OK”
Streaming Layout Setup:
Once you have linked to your desired platform, the next step is to set up the layout of your stream. You can add your webcam, twitter handle or any images or banners to make your stream attractive. Anything you put up to stream will require audio video set up. Let’s see how to do it.
To stream games for your audience, you need to select the screen to capture. Follow these simple steps to do so;
- Open OBS and click on “+” icon on sources window at the bottom.
- See the list to Select “Game Capture” and give it any Name that you’d like
- Now, select which mode you want to use. Whether you want to capture full screen, any foreground application or an application with a designated hotkey.
Key Takeaway: At times, it is difficult to capture a specific window with a designated hotkey. Capturing a full-screen application works best
You can also change the number of frames to be captured and stream quality based on your internet connection.
You can share personalized videos or vlogs with your audience by setting up your webcam.
- Connect your webcam to your computer
- Click “+” icon from the “Sources” window.
- Choose “Video Capture Device” and a suitable name must be given to it
- Choose your camera from the “Device” drop-down menu
- Configure it and click OK.
Whether you are streaming a game or your vlog we’ll need to hear from you. Let’s set up the audio for your stream;
- The bottom right corner of the screen will have “Settings”. Click it
- Hit on “Audio” tab from the drop-down menu
- OBS gives you various options to choose from. Select and configure the most suitable for you. Whether you want to use recorded audio or talk through the microphone.
You can also add some text to ask your audience for subscriptions.
- Find the ” Source” menu in order to click “+”
- Select Text (GD1+) and name it
- Add your desired text
- You can also change the font style, size, and color.
Make your stream attractive by adding some images.
- Find the ” Source” menu in order to click “+”
- Click on “Image” and name the source
- Click on “Browse” to select a saved image
- You can edit its opacity
- Once you are done click “OK”.
You are good to go
With this, you are now done with setting up your stream. You have your preferred platform and layout. Now simply click the “Start Streaming” in the bottom right corner to go live.